Skip to main content
Skip to guide navigation
Catalog search tips
- Keep it simple!
- Check your spelling! The catalog won't correct typos.
- Write down call numbers and locations to find the book on the shelf.
- Use quotation marks to search for phrases
- Use AND to narrow searches: records must contain both terms
nursing AND clinical
- Use OR to broaden searches: records can contain either term
children OR pediatric
- Use NOT to clarify searches: records cannot contain the term after NOT
radiation NOT solar
- Search with root words using the symbol $
pharmac$ finds "pharmacology," "pharmaceutical," "pharmacy," etc.
- Use ? to indicate an unknown letter
wom?n finds "woman" and "women"
- Remember to allow at least 1 week for books requested from other libraries to arrive
Browse for books
Browse for books in the Reference section or general collection by subject.
||Law, public health, hospitals
||Ear, nose, & throat diseases
||Gynecology & obstetrics
||Chiropractic & alternative medicine
Outlines of the classification system are posted in the library and at the Library of Congress website.
Books at JSCC
Books at JSCC
Recently acquired books on topics in nursing and medicine – see more on our New Books guide.
All websites, articles, images, videos, etc., linked on this site are provided for informational purposes only. External content is not maintained by James Sprunt Community College, nor does it represent the views of the College or its employees. Please notify the library staff if you have concerns about linked content. Students are expected to evaluate all web and print resources and to determine their appropriate academic uses. A hyperlink to a resource or article from these LibGuides does not constitute an endorsement of that resource or article by the library.